D-Day - June 6, 2014
Q: Today marks the 70th anniversary of D-Day, the allied invasion of Normandy, France. The very first troops to hit Omaha Beach on June 6, 1944, were part of a legendary army division that’s now headquartered at Fort Riley, Kan. Can you name the division?
A: The First Infantry Division, also known as The Big Red One - also known as “The Fighting 1st." (Incidentally, the Big Red One celebrates its 97th birthday this month!)
D-Day is another term for the allied invasion of Normandy France during World War II. The invasion, the largest of its kind in human history, was orchestrated by Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower, of Abilene, the Supreme Commander of all allied forces in Europe. The first wave of troops to hit Omaha Beach (one of four designated invasion areas or landing zones) was comprised of U.S. Army soldiers from the “Fighting First,” or First Infantry Division. This unit is often called the Big Red One, for its distinctive shoulder patch. During its long life, the Big Red One has been stationed at many forts. The division and its headquarters first moved to Fort Riley, Kan., in 1955.
BIG RED ONE's Facebook page: www.facebook.com/1stInfantryDivison.
- The Space Race - May 30, 2014
- Name that Business Tycoon! - May 23, 2014
- Name that county! - May 16, 2014
- Name that County and County Seat! - May 9, 2014
- Famous Kansans - May 2, 2014
- Name That Town or..."O, What Fun!" - April 25, 2014
- The Staff of Life - April 4, 2014
- Fast Food - March 28, 2014
- Things in the News…or the church bulletin - March 21, 2014
- Humor or… I’ll see you in the funny pages! - March 14, 2014
Page 6 of 127