Name that Kansas ghost town! - July 25, 2014
Q: Historically, Kansas has been a laboratory for all kinds of social experiments. One of those experiments began back in 1856 when a group of settlers -- called the “Vegetarian Kansas Emigration Company” -- tried to build an all-vegetarian colony in southeast Kansas. The experiment lasted about a year. What was the name of the town this group hoped to turn into a vegetarian utopia?
A: Octagon City… (So named because of the octagonal style architecture the townspeople hoped to use while building their homes and town square, or… town octagon.)
Initially, town organizers hoped Octagon City would become an international community full of moral people who pledged to educate their children and refrain from consuming meat, alcohol and tobacco. In the end, it was a failed social experiment. The town was founded in 1856, in Allen County, by the Vegetarian Kansas Emigration Company.
- Name that county! - July 18, 2014
- Name that town! - July 11, 2014
- World War I - June 27, 2014
- Athletes and Olympians - June 20, 2014
- "Shirley" you must be joking - June 13, 2014
- D-Day - June 6, 2014
- The Space Race - May 30, 2014
- Name that Business Tycoon! - May 23, 2014
- Name that county! - May 16, 2014
- Name that County and County Seat! - May 9, 2014
Page 6 of 133