Sports…as heard on KPR! - September 19, 2014
Q: University of Kansas Volleyball Coach Ray Bechard could rack up his 1,000th career victory during a match tonight in Lawrence. What’s the name of his Kansas hometown?
A: Grinnell, Kan. (in Gove County, in northwest Kansas)
Now in his 17th year as head volleyball coach at the University of Kansas, Ray Bechard is on the verge of getting his 1,000th career victory. In fact, he’s just two victories away from reaching that milestone and his team has two games on tap today (FRI) in Lawrence (at noon and 7:30 p.m.). KPR wishes him good luck!
Bechard is from the tiny town of Grinnell, in Gove County, in northwest Kansas (population 259, unless coach is visiting, then it climbs to 260).
Bechard came to KU after spending 13 years as the head coach at Barton County Community College in Great Bend. After his stellar career at Barton, Bechard was inducted into the National Junior College Athletic Association Volleyball Hall of Fame in 1998. In 13 seasons at Barton, Bechard posted a career record of 716-60 (.923 winning percentage). He completed his career at Barton with the highest all-time winning percentage among junior college/community college coaches.
Last year, Bechard led the Jayhawks to their first ever Sweet 16 appearance. He’s the winningest coach in KU volleyball history and is the reigning Big 12 Coach of the Year for the second year in a row. Yeah, he's THAT good! :-)
- Broadcasting - September 12, 2014
- Built to Last - September 5, 2014
- Failed Business Ventures of the Old West - August 29, 2014
- Swingers Only! - August 22, 2014
- Name That Town! - August 15, 2014
- Name That Town! - August 8, 2014
- Small Things - August 1, 2014
- Name that Kansas ghost town! - July 25, 2014
- Name that county! - July 18, 2014
- Name that town! - July 11, 2014
Page 1 of 136